Film review: Dark Skies (15)
Spookiness in suburbia. Scott Stewart's otherworldly chiller works up a decent level of suspense in spite of cleaving to old tricks.
A married couple (Keri Russell and Josh Hamilton) notice odd things happening in their home – groceries on the floor, alarms going off, birds in a mass attack – and when their son starts talking about visitations from "The Sandman" they really get the wind up. Oh, and they all randomly slip into catatonic states, not unlike film critics after a long day.
It all points in one direction (the one that says, "We are not alone") and you can almost time the arrival of the standard plot moves: creepy sightings on security-cam footage, disguised dream sequences, a visit to the paranormal expert (J K Simmons) who assures them they're not nuts. Some frights, but nothing you haven't jumped at before.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 4 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 5 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >