Film review: In the Name Of (15)
Malgoska Szumowska, 102mins, Starring: Andrzej Chyra
Here's a rarity: an even-handed and compassionate drama about sexuality in the Catholic Church. Andrzej Chyra plays Adam, a charismatic but troubled priest who takes over a small parish in rural Poland.
He's popular with his congregation, and develops a rapport with the semi-delinquent youths at the community centre attached to the church.
When an enigmatic loner (Mateusz Kosciukiewicz) joins the parish it becomes apparent that Adam's pastoral instincts are more complicated than we realise. Silences and ellipses play a significant function in the story.
The drama's brooding intent isn't quite answered by its payoff, but you won't forget Chyra's remarkable face, his eyes seemingly lit from within by the tortured melancholy of a medieval saint.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Batman v Superman: Side-kick Robin to be 'woman played by Jena Malone'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world