Film review: Reincarnated (18)
Can you teach an old Dogg new tricks?
Calvin Broadus, aka rap star Snoop Dogg, is certainly willing to learn, as this documentary portrait reveals. Now in his forties, he's fed up with the rap scene that made him famous ("I know Obama wanted me to come to the White House, but what can I perform?") and takes a month's sabbatical in Kingston, Jamaica, to cleanse his soul and record a reggae album.
Oh, and to smoke weed – lots of weed.
His natural amiability gets him in with local royalty such as Damian Marley and Bunny Wailer, who rechristens him "Snoop Lion", yet the star's producer status on Reincarnated ensures that he never really answers for his past infamies, eg. his life as a pimp, or his interest in guns.
Even if his love of Rastafari and his renunciation of violence are sincere, the film never looks more than a vanity project and a promo for the new album.
Afloat on a permanent cloud of ganja, feted by the Kingston populace, this Dogg looks more like the cat who got the cream.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'