Film review: The Battle of the Sexes (PG)
It was called the match of the century. On 20 September 1973, Billie Jean King faced 55-year-old Bobby Riggs, tennis pro-turned-chauvinist loudmouth, in front of 30,000 fans at the Houston Astrodome.
The purse was worth $100,000 to the winner, but much more was at stake. Riggs wanted to "protect mankind from pushy women". King wanted to prove herself the equal of a man and secure a level playing-field for women in status and payment ("I wasn't just playing for myself. I was playing for everybody").
The hoopla surrounding the match is splendidly caught. James Erskine and Zara Hayes's terrific documentary sets the event against the story of the women's movement that caught fire at the end of the 1960s, when a wife still couldn't get a credit card in her own name. The archive footage is more than an incidental treat – it's an eye-opener.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Question Time's 'passionate highlander' is the William Wallace of the Better Together campaign
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories