I Love You, Beth Cooper (15)
Friday 21 August 2009
Chris Columbus has been the directorial hand behind some dire movies – Home Alone, Nine Months, Stepmom – but he at least tries something slightly different here, with a script by Larry Doyle that almost tips into raunchiness.
On graduation day nerdy valedictorian Denis (Paul Rust) decides to go for broke and declares his unsuspected love for blonde cheerleader Beth (Hayden Panettiere), thus setting in motion a wild night of being chased round town by her neanderthal boyfriend and his mates.
The pace is oddly sluggish, the flashbacks are awkward, and most of the risque lines die a death, but there are two reasons to stay with it – Rust himself as the super-dweeb hero and Jack T Carpenter as his movie-quoting best friend, who rather sweetly insists that he's not gay. It's far from Peep Show, but it's probably the first Columbus movie I've emerged from not feeling utterly sick.
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 5 Ball pool for adults opens in London
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account