Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (PG)
Voices: Helen Mirren, Sam Neill, Jim Sturgess, Geoffrey Rush, Hugo Weaving
Friday 22 October 2010
Zack Snyder, who turned the graphic novels 300 and Watchmen to box-office gold, links up with Animal Logic, who gave us dancing penguins in Happy Feet, for the story of a young barn owl called Soren who grows up listening to his dad's mythical tales of the Guardians – super-owls who protect the weak.
Captured and imprisoned by the Pure Ones, fascist renegades who brainwash owlets, Soren and his pals must escape and enlist the help of the Guardians. The stars of this computerised epic are the Design and Art departments, who provide stunning landscapes, caves and kingdoms, and whose 3D magic is genuinely thrilling. The trouble is the bloody owls: their features are insufficiently differentiated, the baddies and super-goodies confusingly wear masks and bow before supreme beings in white feathers. And when a pair of 3D talons come flying out of the sky at you for the 2,789th time, you're tempted to yawn. The dark atmosphere and violent fights would scare most under-nines.
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans