Life, Above All (12A)
Starring: Khomotso Manyaka, Aubrey Poolo
Friday 27 May 2011
The spectre of Aids hangs heavily on this modest South African drama. Chanda (Khomotso Manyaka) is a 12-year-old schoolgirl mourning the death of her young sister and struggling to cope with a family that's falling apart: her mother is suffering from a mystery illness, her stepfather is a fall-down drunk, and her best friend is prostituting herself at the local truck-stop.
At times the atmosphere of hopelessness becomes too much for her (and maybe a bit too much for the audience) but director Oliver Schmitz eases the burden with sharp character observation and a stoical sense of comedy. Manyaka is tremendous in the lead role.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Batman v Superman: Side-kick Robin to be 'woman played by Jena Malone'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world