Friday 18 June 2010
This action comedy began life as a sketch on Saturday Night Live that spoofed a 1980s TV series, MacGyver, about a mullet-headed special agent who preferred not to use a gun.
Instead, he's "good at kickin' ass and rippin' throats", and even though Will Forte's title incarnation is also a nincompoop, a narcissist, a coward and possibly a psychopath, the Pentagon want him out of retirment to foil his arch-enemy-with-an-obscene-name (Val Kilmer – that's not the obscene name). How the 1980s posturing and preening will play with the 14-20 year-old market it's aimed at is uncertain. What I wanted to know: was MacGyver anything like as awful as this? Kristen Wiig lends it a bit of class as the hero's moll, Vicki St Elmo, but Forte is a pain, the scatological crudity unrelenting, and the air of pointlessness unignorable.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Have you heard about the film Singapore has banned its people from watching? Well, you have now
Laurie Lee's Rosie: What is it like to inspire a writer's work and be immortalised forever on the page?
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Star Wars 7 leaked set photo of Adam Driver changes everything
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'