Only Lovers Left Alive, film review: Jarmusch's creatures of the night have real bite
(15) Jim Jarmusch, 123 mins Starring: Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston, Mia Wasikowska, John Hurt, Anton Yelchin
Jim Jarmusch's wonderfully arch and stylish 21st-century vampire movie owes as much to 1980s indie music and film culture as it does to Bram Stoker.
The irony, which the film seems very aware of, is that film-makers from that era, such as Jarmusch himself, are as much out of time as the vampire protagonists here. (You can't help noticing that the pale-skinned vampire lovers played by Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton dress remarkably similarly to the characters in Jarmusch's 1980s films, who invariably also preferred night-time to the daylight.)
The film has a grungy, pre-digital aesthetic. In the world shown here, Gibson guitars and 45rpms matter much more than any new technology.
Hiddleston and Swinton excel as the very refined bloodsuckers, conveying a sense of world-weariness and disillusionment about the behaviour of the "zombie" humans without ever becoming remotely wearisome themselves.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Jeremy Clarkson to host BBC's Have I Got News For You despite Top Gear exit
Jeremy Clarkson says it 'isn't hard' to create another Top Gear
James May hints Top Gear days are over following Jeremy Clarkson's BBC suspension
Mark Gatiss on playing 'prince of darkness' Peter Mandelson in Channel 4's Coalition
James May hints he will not continue on Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Council tenant wins right not to be sent to Milton Keynes