Repo Men (18)
Friday 16 April 2010
There are plenty of ideas floating around in this bloodcurdling boys' own sci-fi film.
The over-determined screenplay seems influenced in equal measure by George Lucas's THX 1138, George Orwell's 1984, debates about corporate greed, healthcare and organ transplants, A Clockwork Orange... and by the most juvenile comic books and computer games. As Remy, the repo man who collects artificial organs from transplant patients who've fallen behind on their payments, Jude Law acts if he's on leave from a Steven Berkoff play. Close cropped, speaking with a London accent, he spends his working hours shooting people and ripping out their hearts and livers. Then he goes home to his wife and kid. When his wife leaves him and he loses his own heart (literally), he has a crisis of conscience. Law brings a gimlet-eyed intensity to his role that is matched by that of his buddy repo man Jake (Forest Whitaker). Liev Schreiber excels as the thoroughly cynical boss, selling organs that he knows patients can't afford. The central problem, in a film that grows increasingly preposterous, is that Sapochnik never seems sure whether he's making a dystopian allegory or a very sweaty, testosterone-driven action movie.
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers