The Banquet (15)
Friday 11 April 2008
Hamelt meets Crouching Tiger in this long, lavish story of royal power-struggles in 10th-century China.
Ziyi Zhang plays the empress who has married the murderous usurper (Ge You) yet harbours a forbidden love for her stepson Prince Wu Luan (Daniel Wu). The latter barely escapes with his life after masked assassins, sent by the uncle who killed his father, ambush his theatrical troupe.
Director Feng Xiaogang interweaves pageantry with gravity-defying fight sequences, and sprays around a good deal of plum-coloured blood in the process. It's a handsome spectacle, but it misses all the wit and dash of Shakespeare, not to mention the poetry. Anyone can steal a plot – it's the imagination applied that matters.
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
The Top Ten: Horrible buildings
JK Rowling writes new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing 'Singing Sorceress' Celestina Warbuck
Britain's ugliest buildings: Which monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 line-up: Meet the contestants from Lauren Goodger to Kellie Maloney and Audley Harrison
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women