The Decoy Bride (12A)
Starring: David Tennant, Kelly Macdonald, Alice Eve
This romantic screwball comedy, set on the mythical Scottish island of Hegg, is clearly intended to evoke memories of Whisky Galore!, I Know Where I'm Going and even Local Hero.
Sadly, the visual magic simply isn't there (perhaps because the film was largely shot on the Isle of Man) and the sub-Ealing eccentricity of the locals seems just a little too forced. Kelly Macdonald is appealing as local lass Katie, a Bridget Jones-like mac-singleton returning to the island after her most recent relationship breaks up.
Here, she meets an arrogant author, James (David Tennant), who is trying to marry Hollywood star Lara Tyler (Alice Eve) away from the prying eyes of the world's media. Tennant does his best in a strangely written role requiring him to be supercilious and charming at the same time. It's a trick that even Cary Grant in his prime would have struggled to pull off.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
New Ghostbusters movie lands all-female cast with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones
Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes