The Flaw (NC)
Friday 03 June 2011
If the material in this documentary on the financial meltdown seems overfamiliar that's because you've encountered most of it already in the superior Inside Job.
Examining the catastrophe of borrowing and mortgage-refinancing as it impacted on various American Everybodies, the film does little more than wring its hands with woe. The title comes from Alan Greenspan, the gnomelike money guru whose testimony to Congress identified "a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works, so to speak". Er, thanks for that. In a nutshell, runaway greed scuppered the whole system. The top percentile of high-earners made a killing, while Joe Public went to the wall. Class dismissed.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
- < Previous
- Next >