The Lucky One (12A)
Scott Hicks, 100mins. Starring: Zac Efron, Taylor Schilling
Director Scott Hicks (Shine) and novelist Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook) have between them created a perfect storm of schmaltz in this tale of a US Marine's picturesque journey to love and healing.
Zac Efron stars as Logan, who in the battleground rubble of Iraq finds the photograph of a young woman and believes it to be a talisman after his life is spared twice in combat.
Back on home soil he discovers her name – Beth (Taylor Schilling) – and walks all the way to her door in Louisiana, where the bayou is permanently sun-dappled, the interiors are all tastefully distressed and grandmother Blythe Danner plays wise old Cupid to the lovestruck couple.
You know at some point, Zac will have to bond with Beth's eight-year-old son and kick the ass of her boorish ex-husband Keith, but until then you will be tranquillised unto death by Mark Isham's repulsive score and pop-fillers so bland you'd prefer the whine of a dentist's drill. Lucky is the one who avoids this.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world