The Muppets (U)
Starring: Amy Adams, Jason Segel, Chris Cooper
It's time to play the music, it's time to light the lights... it's time to revisit the simpler days of your childhood with favourite felt-based friends The Muppets.
This revival, at once innocent and knowing, makes a little joke of arrested development in its pairing of Jason Segel and his "brother" Walter, a Muppet. Nobody bothers to doubt their connection – they're blood, and that's it. On a trip to Hollywood, Walter uncovers a plot by a dastardly plutocrat (Chris Cooper) to destroy the clapped-out Muppets studio and drill the land for oil. So Walter decides to reunite the old gang for a show that will raise the $10m needed to save the place.
A flurry of early gags pokes fun at the showbiz contrivances – Segel, on handing his fiancée (Amy Adams) a wilted bunch of flowers, says, "Sorry, that must be from the dance number I was just doing." Even the villains get to comment on their own conventions: "maniacal laughter," commands Chris Cooper of his henchmen. The jokes flag after a while, though the charm stays strong, even when the promised Celebrity Cameo turns out to be Jack Black. Is he really on a par with Miss Piggy?
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
- 1 Watch: The student election Macklemore parody that isn't completely awful - and all the others that are
- 2 Three-quarters of Britons are saying it wrong - the top ten most common mispronunciations
- 3 Son attacks Apple after it refuses to unlock his late mother’s iPad
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 First Kiss video: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results