The Ugly Truth (15), Robert Luketic (96 mins)
Friday 07 August 2009
Hard to know what to hate more in this: Gerard Butler’s smug shock-jock, whose boorish sexist claptrap (“The Ugly Truth”) is allegedly the toast of daytime TV, or his producer (Katherine Heigl), a singleton who goes on dates with a “checklist” and can’t understand why the man takes offence.
And yet, in spite of their mutual antipathy, she takes on board his dating tips so as to bagherhunky doctor neighbour (Eric Winter). So take your pick between priapic oaf and imbecilic control freak. Actually, what I hated most of all was the script , which smears these so-called insights into the sex wars with pointless (and witless) crudity. More depressing still, it’s written by three women. Were they trying to prove they couldbeasmoronic and vulgar as men? If so, job done.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 George Galloway attacked on Notting Hill street by man 'shouting about the holocaust'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >