The Violent Kind (18)
Starring: Joe Egender, Cory Knauf, Tiffany Shepis
Friday 22 July 2011
An unholy hybrid between a teen gang film and a "torture porn" horror movie, this film by Mitchell Altieri and Phil Flores (who work under the name "The Butcher Brothers") throws in plenty of Grand Guignol-style bloodletting to very little effect.
The special effects are nifty enough (demons hanging from the ceiling, fingers being chopped off) and you can tell the directors are well-steeped in the subterranean worlds of The Exorcist and Blue Velvet but even as an act of homage, the film falls flat. The plot – some hokum about young bikers in a remote house terrorised by a demonic 1950s gang – is well-nigh incomprehensible.
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Plane carrying 162 disappears over Java sea
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
The Interview finally gets US release after Sony hack and terror threats – but reviews of North Korea satire are mixed
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever