Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (12A)
Starring: Thanapat Saisaymar, Jenjira Pongpas
Friday 19 November 2010
Harry Potter doesn't have a monopoly on impenetrable narratives this week. A Palme d'Or winner at Cannes this year, this low-budget Thai film is a numinous meditation on the afterlife.
We first meet the eponymous uncle on his deathbed in a forest hut; as he slips away, his past lives are played out to serenade him to the other side. His late wife appears as a ghost – "Heaven is overrated", she tells him – while his son resembles a monkey with black fur and red eyes. The writer-director Apichatpong Weerasethakul happily admits that his film operates "like a stream of consciousness", and while some will surrender to its gentle flow of comedy and irony, others will find it merely wishy-washy. All one can say for certain is that Hollywood will not be remaking this in a hurry.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 4 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'
New Netflix releases: The films and TV shows coming August 2014
Samuel Beckett's biographer reveals secrets of the writer's time as a French Resistance spy
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Star Wars Episode 7: Simon Pegg hints at disguised role
Guardians of the Galaxy review: A superficial and half-hearted Marvel film
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >