First And Last
From the record collection of tanita Tikaram
Friday 19 June 1998
"It was revolutionary at the time, or so it seemed to an 11-year-old. I listened to it intensely for a year without being able to understand the title. It was like a concept album, the geometric shapes on the cover and the two versions of "Joan of Arc". It's funny, because it hasn't really stayed with me, but as a kid these weird elements seemed like `wow!'".
Rose and Charcoal Marisa Monte
"I heard this on a compilation tape in a friend's car, an amazing cover version of Lou Reed's "Pale Blue Eyes". When you discover a new voice and it's utterly compelling, you just fall in love. It is quite rare, as you get older, to discover things like that. And to find a singer who has real warmth and a sexy, sensual album. It is one of those records you live with."
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Five reasons Salmond is secretly hoping for a 'No' vote
- 3 Isis plan to 'behead random member of the public' in Sydney thwarted by Australian police
- 4 Scottish independence: Andy Murray backs Yes campaign in eleventh hour decision
- 5 Have you heard about the film Singapore has banned its people from watching? Well, you have now
Laurie Lee's Rosie: What is it like to inspire a writer's work and be immortalised forever on the page?
Metal detectors object to digs by Mackenzie Crook about ‘dysfunctional’ hobby in BBC4's 'Detectorists'
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Star Wars 7 leaked set photo of Adam Driver changes everything
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'