HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEATS
Sunday 29 October 1995
The BBC is running a season of programmes and readings on and around the birthday: netheads can download Keats's poems (what all of them? even the long boring ones?) at http://www.cc.columbia.edu/sv12/keats/index.html. Radio 4 has a dramatisation of "The Eve of Saint Agnes", on Sun 29. Radio 3's "The Posthumous Life of John Keats" (Sun 29) looks at the changing reputation of the poet who only sold six copies of "Endymion". On the birthday itself Michael Maloney reads six of the Odes throughout the day on Radio 4, and "The Vale of Soul-Making" focuses on Keats's letters .
All quiet at Keats House in London, but then their celebrations have been carrying on since the Eve of St Agnes itself (21 Jan). The British Library is hosting an exhibition with manuscripts of his best-known poems, letters, paintings and first editions. On National Poetry Day, if you recall, Kates and Yeets stitched up the votes between them with two poems apiece in the Nation's Top Ten, even if the loathsome "If", not so much a poem as a teatowel slogan, finally won.
The British Library, Gt Russell St, WC1. Exhibition open Mon to Sat 10am- 5pm, Sundays 2.30-6pm. Free.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories