Thursday 22 October 1998
Deputy Executive Director, Programme
Sir: Finian Cunningham's Historical Notes (20 October) are a timely reminder of the solidarity between the Nazi elite in Germany and the British elite prior to 1937. In his sordid tract Mein Kampf, Hitler insists again and again that he fully identifies with the British Empire, in the anticipation that he could emulate it in the East.
Sir: I note (Motor Show '98, 21 October) that reference is again made to the "strong pound". Is this true? Several European currencies are now at the same level as at the beginning of last year. Only a few years ago when the French franc was trading at about 7 to the pound, manufacturers were complaining about the damaging cost of imported components. So just what are considered to be desirable rates?
D W CANNING
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 4 Paul Hollywood: Police asked if I wanted them to arrest Mary Berry for vandalism after she 'defaced' my car
- 5 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
JK Rowling's Harry Potter Halloween stories: Dolores Umbridge was based on real person she 'disliked intensely'
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Best horror films of all time
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything