Latitude 2013: Five minutes with... King Creosote
Wednesday 20 March 2013
King Creosote, known to his mum as Kenny Anderson, a hyper-prolific singer-songwriter from Fife. He'll be playing this year's Latitude, which gave us all the excuse we needed to ask him a question or two...
1. Which latitude are you on right now?
56 degrees, 13 minutes and 23 seconds north, (at a longitude of 2 degrees, 41 minutes and 23 seconds west). I'm at 65 James Street, Cellardyke, in Sean Dooley's house - we're putting together album artwork of a nautical theme as it happens.
2. Sum up what you do for us in one sentence for anyone who might not know...
I over-dramatise the mundane using the medium of song.
3. What’s the best thing about performing live?
Achieving a state of mind where I completely forget that it's me performing live.
4. Do you have any pre-show rituals?
5. What’s your best festival story for us? The stranger the better!
When at Port Elliot in my sober year, 2009, I was given a head scarf that allowed me to become invisible, and thus joined a group of girls as their "hen". Never did find out who my husband-to-be was... but I asked for Brad Pitt to take the ceilidh drummer's place. Well, it would've been my day, and I wanted it to be perfect.
6. Tell us a something you’ve never told an interviewer before...
Given a choice between playing live, making a record, or doing an interview, I'd choose the recording two times out of three.
7. What’s your signature cooking dish?
8. What book/film/record etc. changed your life and why?
Grease. I saw it at a young and impressionable age, eight times on the trot in fact, and from that point on I looked for any opportunity to burst into theatrical song in my everyday life, or at least spot my own Olivia Newton John in those tight black satin breeks of hers.
9. Knock knock, who’s there?
Combine hoo Harvester ha.
10. And lastly, summarise Latitude in three words
Pretty, far and away.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Jeremy Clarkson to host BBC's Have I Got News For You despite Top Gear exit
Jeremy Clarkson says it 'isn't hard' to create another Top Gear
James May hints Top Gear days are over following Jeremy Clarkson's BBC suspension
Mark Gatiss on playing 'prince of darkness' Peter Mandelson in Channel 4's Coalition
James May hints he will not continue on Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Council tenant wins right not to be sent to Milton Keynes