Latitude 2013: Five minutes with... Moon Duo
Thursday 21 March 2013
Cosmic travellers Moon Duo aren't just wizards of trippy space rock - they're also the headliners of Latitude's iArena stage, sponsored by i. We caught up with them to ask a few key questions
1. Which latitude are you on right now?
37.8 ° S, 145 °E: Also known as Melbourne, Australia. We're on tour down here.
2. Sum up what you do for us in one sentence for anyone who might not know...
We play rock and roll music.
3. What’s the best thing about performing live?
I love the immediacy, the way it welds one's consciousness to the moment at hand.
4. Do you have any pre-show rituals?
Usually just chilling backstage.
5. What’s your best festival story for us? The stranger the better!
We played Milhoes Em Festa in Portugal last year. It was the height of summer, late July, and we went on at about four o'clock in the afternoon. The heat was thick and dense. The stage was set to the side of a swimming pool the size of a small lake. There were scads of people there, all in swimsuits. Most of them were in the pool, dancing and writhing throughout our set. We were sweating buckets, the sun hammering down on us, and the whole seen took on the kind of wavy shimmering that only intense heat can manifest. It was surreal and bacchanalian and awesome. We had never played for almost-nude audience before.
6. Tell us a something you’ve never told an interviewer before...
I'm deathly afraid of snakes.
7. What’s your signature cooking dish?
Salt and pepper tofu with rice and spicy kale. Also chocolate chip
8. What book/film/record etc. changed your life and why?
Suicide's first album completely redefined my understanding of what a keyboard is for.
9. Knock Knock... who’s there...
Monica, dear, that was a precious little story. Now be sweetheart and fetch Mommy another martini.
10. And lastly, summarise Latitude in three words
Watch the new House of Cards series three trailerTV
Oscars 2015It was the first time Barney has compered the Academy Awards
Oscars 2015 From Meryl Streep whooping Patricia Arquette's equality speech to Chris Pine in tears
Oscars 2015 Mexican filmmaker uses speech to urge 'respect' for immigrants
TV ReviewThe intrigue deepens as we delve further but don't expect any answers just yet
Razzies 2015 Golden Raspberry Awards 'honours' Cameron Diaz and Kirk Cameron
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Ed Miliband less influential than One Direction's Louis Tomlinson by official Doncaster power list
- 3 Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Kurt Cobain's life and death: Montage of Heck film uses unseen footage to tell Nirvana frontman's story
Game of Thrones season 5 spoilers: What we can expect according to George RR Martin's books
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Drugs Live: Twitter responds to Jon Snow and Jennie Bond smoking cannabis
Jimmy McGovern's new TV series 'Banished': Why Australia's past has such resonance today
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'