Letter: Bad news: prices up
Tuesday 02 February 1999
House inflation only benefits estate agents and landowners. Everyone else suffers - first time buyers and those needing to move up the housing chain all see their dream house going out of their reach. It is a prime cause of general inflation, which in turn brings higher interest rates, making mortgages dearer.
But the most serious result, from my perspective as a local councillor grappling with how to accommodate vast numbers of new houses without destroying our beautiful countryside, is that inflation stokes up demand in a never- ending cycle, with everyone jumping on the bandwagon before the next rise, and we end up with an urban sprawl.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 4 Amy Winehouse unpublished 2004 interview: ‘Ten years from now I’ll be 30, so I’ll maybe have one baby’
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains