Letter: Balkan problems
Monday 05 October 1998
Never mind the ultimate truth as to who perpetrated the latest. Whey the sudden rush to judgement? Why now?
Lasting conflict resolution may require Western intervention and aid, but above all it requires even-handedness. This is not a simple morality tale of good versus evil.
Which leaves the question: is today's anti-Serb pathology simply revenge lust after the hard-line victory in Bosnia's recent election (so inconvenient to Dayton's architects), or is it even more spurious, reflecting far simpler political calculation?
"Wag the dog" time, indeed, though this time with real bombs, real horror, real victims.
CARL G JACOBSEN
Review: Of Mice and Men
By opportunistic local hoping to exhibit the work
Fans will be hoping the role finally wins him an Oscar
What do gigantic horse heads tell us about Falkirk?
Finnish Postal Service praises the 'self irony and humour' of the drawings
The actor has confessed to his own insecurities
Allotments are the focus of a new reality show
Arts & Ents blogs
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark