Letter: Booker Prize haven
Monday 01 November 1999
If, as you say, Griffiths doesn't court attention, this is surely because he has long since despaired of getting any. Well, I suppose one should be grateful that you are finally paying him some notice, and never mind that you seem to view him as an amiable freak in need of special pleading.
As a lecturer trying to convey to my students the real variety of contemporary UK poetry, I am constantly daunted by the half-unknowing complicity of the media and poetry's official bodies in ignoring scores of worthwhile poets because their aesthetics don't fit with approved patterns. People attending the readings I help to organise appreciate that the poets promoted in the media and bookshops aren't the only (or even the most rewarding) voices, but intelligent newspapers still find this hard to grasp.
So two cheers for your article. Three will follow when you're ready to publish Britain's neglected poets in your Daily Poem slot as spontaneously as the acclaimed ones.
Denise Riley, Colin Simms, Geraldine Monk, Frances Presley, Lee Harwood - these writers unfailingly fascinate the audiences I present them to. When will you give them their due?
Broadcaster unveils Christmas scheduleTV
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict