Letter: Building equality
Wednesday 04 August 1999
Bastions of the architectural profession have been crumbling, fortunately, in recent years. As role models appear (Eva Jiricna, Zaha Hadid and others), the student intake is about 50/50 across the sexes. As children, girls are as able as boys to take up design challenges.
The Aberdeen-based "Designing the Future" programme, run jointly between the Urban Studies Centre, the schools and local architects, produced some amazing results: the top prize went to a young woman for a fantastic conference centre in a disused quarry.
The Construction Industry Board is busy campaigning to change the industry's image and attract a broader spectrum of society - including women. It may be things aren't changing fast enough for Richard Todd - but I doubt many women architects would recognise the "poseur" tag. They're all too busy.
Secretary & Treasurer
The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Our fascination with the Arctic from Greek myths to Sky Atlantic's new drama Fortitude
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures