Letter: Cannabis on trial
If the Government is serious about reducing drugs use and the crime it causes, the campaign needs a dose of radical honesty. All the efforts of the past 50 years have been based on the demonising of any substance that isn't legal - hardly the approach to influence young people.
The narcotic debate is still based on the 1920s approach that was based on grounds of morality and deviance. Even the most dim-witted teenager will identify that alcohol is easily as culpable on these grounds, yet enjoys legal and taxable status.
Drugs use has to be tackled primarily on grounds of health risks and should target those substances that are demonstrably addictive or fatal and are at least more dangerous that alcohol or tobacco.
If you apply this test to existing proscribed substances many will fail despite over half a century of effort to link them to the proven effects of narcotics like heroin and cocaine.
With their big majority, there is no excuse for the Government not to raise the level of debate on drugs.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
The late Peter O'Toole shines in 'Katherine of Alexandria' despite illness
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head