Letter: Country sounds
Saturday 29 August 1998
Yes, the "soundtrack" album does contain tracks by Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris and The Carter Family but they do not figure anywhere on the actual soundtrack - nor do Lyle Lovett, Wynonna, Patty Loveless, Lari White, Russ Taff and most of the others featured on the CD. The secret lies in the small print, "Music from and inspired by the motion picture", with the emphasis on the words "inspired by".
This cynical marketing ploy is becoming quite widespread and has also been used on the so-called "soundtrack" album of The Horse Whisperer. In this case, admittedly, a higher proportion of the album tracks do end up on the movie soundtrack, but the tie-up between Nashville and Hollywood does seem very questionable.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 iPhone 6 review: bigger, thinner, faster, brighter - Apple proves you can make the best better
- 2 Sports Direct security guard allegedly banned Jewish schoolboys and told them: 'No Jews, no Jews'
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Emma Thompson admits being frightened ahead of Sweeney Todd West End appearance
Robin Thicke admits he did not write 'Blurred Lines'
Colin Firth and Emma Stone on starring in Magic in the Moonlight: Woody Allen's 1920s romance
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'