Letter: Country sounds
Saturday 29 August 1998
Yes, the "soundtrack" album does contain tracks by Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris and The Carter Family but they do not figure anywhere on the actual soundtrack - nor do Lyle Lovett, Wynonna, Patty Loveless, Lari White, Russ Taff and most of the others featured on the CD. The secret lies in the small print, "Music from and inspired by the motion picture", with the emphasis on the words "inspired by".
This cynical marketing ploy is becoming quite widespread and has also been used on the so-called "soundtrack" album of The Horse Whisperer. In this case, admittedly, a higher proportion of the album tracks do end up on the movie soundtrack, but the tie-up between Nashville and Hollywood does seem very questionable.
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove