Letter: Curb the car
Wednesday 04 August 1999
Local authorities have to adopt what are euphemistically known as traffic management strategies. In plainer language, this means restricting the car. This is the only known way of solving the problem of too many cars, without ridiculous expense. For the last five years, both this government and the previous one have been quietly urging local authorities to do just this, but with only gradual success; Oxford is one of the few real examples.
A more fervent anti-car policy might well co-ordinate the efforts of local authorities and get them to deliver faster. It has been evident that the Prime Minister is not convinced that the car needs restricting. Equally, he is convinced that something needs to be done. Perhaps the reason for Gus Macdonald's appointment as Transport Minister is to survey some difficult political terrain. Sometimes you need friends to tell you difficult truths.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter