Letter: For the birds
Saturday 28 November 1998
For the average urban dweller the depredation wrought by growing populations of pigeons and herring gulls indicates serious loss of environmental quality. Compared with that immediate concern, the knowledge that there are more skylarks in the countryside is likely to amount to scant consolation.
It should be a wondrous challenge for government statisticians to calculate how many countryside skylark benefits units it will take to cancel out a unit of urban pigeon costs before concluding that there has been a net improvement in the wild bird sector of the new happiness index. Meanwhile, a concerted effort by local councils to poison pigeons in the parks could send the index soaring.
Wild bird indicator watching should be a real cool new source of pleasure.
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 3 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
- 5 Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
Exodus: Gods and Kings banned in the UAE for 'religious mistakes'
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk