Letter: Forces of nature
Wednesday 15 September 1999
On this scale, last month's magnitude 7.8 earthquake in Turkey was big but not very special, as about 20 earthquakes between magnitude 7 and 8 on the Richter scale can be expected in any one year.
However, not all big earthquakes cause major damage, whereas some small earthquakes claim many lives. This depends on many factors, such as the depth of the initial rupture, whether the near-surface rocks magnify or dissipate the amplitude of the vibrations, and the quality of building construction.
Possibly of more relevance in news reporting of the scale of devastation caused by an earthquake would be the Mercalli scale. This ranks the intensity of the effects of an earthquake from I (detected by instruments only) to XII (total destruction).
On the Mercalli scale, last month's Turkish earthquake, and a Richter 5.8 earthquake that occurred in the same area on Monday, would both rank XI or XII in the centres of the most heavily damaged zones.
Dr DAVID A ROTHERY
Dept of Earth Sciences
The Open University
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments