Letter: GM crop secrets
Thursday 29 July 1999
If the statement ascribed to Mr Cunningham, "... if small minorities are determined by illegal methods to impose their minority view on the situation by taking premeditated, reckless action in this way, we may have to reconsider..." is correct, one can only view with stupefaction the fact that such a senior member of the Cabinet is apparently of the opinion that it is only a small minority of people who think in the same way as Lord Melchett and Greenpeace. Opinion polls have indicated that the overwhelming majority of the British public would agree with Lord Melchett; the businessmen who run our supermarket chains have been forced to recognise this fact.
Various of the genetic modifications of our food currently proposed by agrochemical companies may indeed prove to be disastrous; if they do, and if the modifications have been carried out in secret, then those responsible for allowing the disasters to be visited upon the country in this way will find that they are called upon by the electorate to pay a very high price indeed.
Dr J W KING
Iver Heath, Buckinghamshire
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture