Letter: Hitler's victory
Friday 27 August 1999
The Nazi electoral campaigns had consistently denounced the "Criminals of Versailles" as incapable of serving the interests of the German people. By 1932 the circle of leading figures around the President started to weaken and believe that there was some truth in the Nazi claims.
Von Papen was perceived as having returned from the conference at Lausanne in 1932 with nothing gained: in this the role of the Prime Ministers of Britain and France, Ramsey MacDonald and Edouard Herriot, had been crucial, but they were not yet able to grasp the Nazi threat as described to them by Von Papen.
The weakening of the "Von Hindenburg Circle" was made the more likely by the combination of their growing tired under the pressures of office and constantly failing to gain concessions from the Western allies, plus the fact that the harvest of 1932 had been a failure and the winter of 1932-3 was particularly severe.
JOHN W S PRESTON
South Croydon, Surrey
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show