Letter: Kosovo's future
Monday 21 June 1999
Plainly, the Rambouillet text was so framed as to ensure its rejection by the Serbs and thus to provide a pretext for the aerial bombardment of Serbia. This in turn, as Nato must have calculated, provoked the Serbian backlash that was a factor, but by no means the only one, in the mass exodus of ethnic Albanians from Kosovo.
The pivotal importance of the Rambouillet accord is undeniable and yet, it seems, no British daily or TV channel gave it editorial prominence. Only through having friends linked to the Internet did I get to see this vital text. Others, the vast majority, were out of luck and effectively denied information of great value to the anti-war cause.
M F LYONS
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for beauty pageant
- 2 Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 Tim Sherwood column: 'It started as a three-horse race but turned into the Grand National'
Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
Lucy, film review: Scarlett Johansson will blow your mind in Luc Besson's complex thriller
Emmys look set to overhaul the Oscars as Hollywood’s prize draw
Miley Cyrus concert banned on morality grounds in the Dominican Republic
Coolio has sold his soul to Pornhub
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile