Letter: Mad or just heretic?
Liberalism is not a belief that "anything goes"; it is a belief in liberty in things wherein we do no harm to others. The right of the public to protection against murder, arson and rape is as much a liberty as the need to prevent wrongful detention.
What is wrong about Jack Straw's proposals is that they are being introduced by the wrong government department. The use of criminal law to punish people for offences they have not yet committed is indeed a dangerous precedent. The detention of psychopaths, as Michael Stone seems to have dimly realised, must be justified for the protection of the potential offender as well as that of the public. That means the appropriate department is the Department of Health, although no treatment is involved.
When the Liberal Democrats put up our health spokesman and not our home affairs spokesman to discuss these proposals we were going in the right direction. If we further point out that liberalism does not offer cheap, easy answers to problems which may be insoluble we are telling the truth.
House of Lords
Arts & Ents blogs
Coronation Street triumphs over EastEnders at British Soap Awards 2013
The Freemasons' Code: Dan Brown reveals the message that told him the door to the lodge is open
Archaeologists uncover nearly 5,000 cave paintings in Burgos, Mexico
Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
Film review: The Hangover Part III (15)
- 1 Pope Francis: Being an atheist is alright as long as you do good
- 2 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 3 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 4 Archaeologists uncover nearly 5,000 cave paintings in Burgos, Mexico
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.