Letter: Mayoral deceit
Friday 17 December 1999
Sir: What Antoine A H Wonders (letter, 16 December) and others of like mind seem to be unable to grasp is that it is not the sexual aspect of a politician's behaviour that bothers people.
Most of us could not care less if Mr Norris and others of similar inclination were to dip their little sticks of celery in every salt pot in the land; what does give pause for thought is the lies and deceit that almost inevitably go with the hobby.
If a man is prepared to cheat and lie systematically to his sexual partner, there's a good chance he'll do the same in other areas of life. More strength to Deborah Orr's elbow, say I ("Hypocrisy, cant and the morass of public morals", 14 December).
G F YOUNG
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up