Letter: Milken's revolution
Monday 14 June 1999
Mr Gumbel even goes so far as to make the outrageous and cruel suggestion that some people don't believe Mike Milken was diagnosed with prostrate cancer and that it is all just an invention designed to elicit sympathy. If he needed verification of the indisputable fact of Mike's cancer, he could have checked with some of the oncologists, urologists and radiologists who treated Mike for the last six years. His suggestion that Mike's generous and effective philanthropy is some kind of recent PR effort ignores the fact that it began in the mid-1970s and was formalised with the establishment of the Milken Family Foundation in 1982. How ridiculous to assert that a person who has been one of the 20 top philanthropists in the US for two decades is now trying to "reinvent himself as an altruistic philanthropic guy".
Senior Vice President
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
The Top Ten: Horrible buildings
JK Rowling writes new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing 'Singing Sorceress' Celestina Warbuck
Britain's ugliest buildings: Which monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 line-up: Meet the contestants from Lauren Goodger to Kellie Maloney and Audley Harrison
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians