Letter: Neglected parks
Monday 15 November 1999
Public parks and gardens are not under-represented on the register. There are around 5,000 public parks in the UK, of which 162 are on our register, which only covers England. This is not dissimilar to the proportion of listed buildings.
English Heritage has seven staff constantly reviewing the register, upgrading and adding parks where suitable. This compares with 11 staff undertaking the same task on listed buildings. Given more resources, we could, of course, complete both tasks more quickly. As well as including the most historically significant parks in the register, we help local authorities draw up management plans, offer grant aid and were instrumental in persuading the Heritage Lottery Fund to set up its Urban Parks Programme.
England's public parks are suffering from a generation of under-funding and neglect by the local authorities. We will continue to assist whenever we can.
Sir JOCELYN STEVENS
Chairman, English Heritage
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 George Galloway attacked on Notting Hill street by man 'shouting about the holocaust'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >