Letter: Nuclear perils
Tuesday 16 November 1999
Led by the UK, the US and France, only 13 states voted against a resolution "Towards a nuclear-weapon-free world: The need for a new agenda" in the UN General Assembly on 9 November.
Recent developments threaten to reverse the generally positive moves of recent years. The US seems determined to develop a missile defence system at the risk of undermining the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty and to maintain an expensive programme of nuclear weapons research which the UK is both contributing to and benefiting from. France is also moving ahead with expensive laboratory testing research for nuclear warhead development, while replacing its nuclear submarine ballistic missile capability.
The UK's fourth Trident submarine, Vengeance, will be commissioned into the Royal Navy at the Barrow-in-Furness shipyard on 27 November. Will this ceremony represent the UK's commitment to nuclear disarmament?
Chair, Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
Arts & Ents blogs
'The Full Monty' stage play to close in West End after only a month - despite Olivier Awards nomination
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on acting one-handed and why Jaime Lannister is really not so bad
Halle Berry's role in X-Men: Days of Future Past cut down to one scene
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli says she wants to see more male nudity in the show
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers