Letter: Pinochet arrest
Friday 23 October 1998
Sir: The Independent is not prepared to forgive General Pinochet (Leading article, 19 October), even knowing he has installed a perfect democratic order and organised a flourishing economy. Then demand the arrest of another former autocrat - Mikhail Gorbachev - as soon as he enters a European country. He is responsible for the bloody suppression of liberation movements in Georgia, Azerbaijan and Lithuania, and for four years of war in Afghanistan where millions (not 3,000 like in Chile) died.
The expression of horror and compassion about perished Spaniards and Chileans exceed immeasurably any emotions concerning monstrous atrocities committed in the USSR, Hungary, China, Cambodia etc.
Does it mean that the butchers there, unlike Pinochet, were led by a correct ideology? Or are the lives of Westerners more important than of the Russian and Chinese?
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Zayn Malik releases first solo song 'I Won't Mind' in 'Zaughty' collaboration with Naughty Boy
Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
James May hints he will not continue on Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson
Menstruation-themed photo series artist 'censored by Instagram' says images are to demystify taboos around periods
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers