Letter: Pinochet arrest
Friday 23 October 1998
Sir: The Independent is not prepared to forgive General Pinochet (Leading article, 19 October), even knowing he has installed a perfect democratic order and organised a flourishing economy. Then demand the arrest of another former autocrat - Mikhail Gorbachev - as soon as he enters a European country. He is responsible for the bloody suppression of liberation movements in Georgia, Azerbaijan and Lithuania, and for four years of war in Afghanistan where millions (not 3,000 like in Chile) died.
The expression of horror and compassion about perished Spaniards and Chileans exceed immeasurably any emotions concerning monstrous atrocities committed in the USSR, Hungary, China, Cambodia etc.
Does it mean that the butchers there, unlike Pinochet, were led by a correct ideology? Or are the lives of Westerners more important than of the Russian and Chinese?
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love voted Greatest Guitar Riff of all time
Doctor Who lesbian kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Beyonce MTV VMAs feminist performance: Twitter reacts to singer's 'double standard'
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >