Letter: Religious schools
Monday 06 December 1999
To exercise freedom is to exercise the right to be different. What we have to respect in a democratic society is the right of other people to hold views different from our own. This is very different from respecting the views (or religious faiths) of other people, although the two are often confused.
She seems unaware that all parents have the right "to have education for their children in conformity with their own religious and philosophical convictions". This right, enshrined in the European Convention, will be fully incorporated into UK law in October 2000. It will apply equally to members of the white working class, whose attitudes to education Ms Alibhai-Brown despises.
The Labour government is to be congratulated on moving the parental rights agenda forward.
The Parental Alliance for Choice in Education
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
- 5 Kim Sears responds to swearing controversy with 'parental advisory' T-shirt at Andy Murray's Australian Open final
Daniel Radcliffe deemed 'not marketable' without his English accent
Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
As Better Call Saul launches, here are the other spin-off shows we need to see
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Britain's widening poverty gap should be causing outrage at the start of the election campaign