Letter: Roman order
Wednesday 13 January 1999
But the Greeks didn't invent it. Some Greek genius who knew the Phoenicians' language adopted their 22-letter alphabet to write Greek. The Phoenicians had no signs for vowels, so the Greek altered the sound of some letters and invented others, placing the new letter omega at the end. By early in the 8th century BC Greeks throughout the Mediterranean were using variants of this alphabet. Its Phoenician origin is proved by the order of the letters - similar to alphabets used in Sinai - and by the names of many of the letters, which mean nothing in Greek, but do in Semitic languages. Alpha means a bull, beta a house etc.
The Romans dropped a few Greek letters including omega, and made a slight alteration to the order.
Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Best horror films of all time
Benedict Cumberbatch imagines 'explosive' Sherlock sex scene in graphic detail
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything