Letter: Send in the troops
Tuesday 30 March 1999
A better way to deal with the crisis would have been to deploy troops in Kosovo. Troops could have guarded the indigenous civilian population, and kept the KLA in check. Massive use of air power will undoubtedly seriously weaken the Yugoslav army, but will not stop its infantry burning villages in Kosovo unless it faces ground troops too.
If the West isn't willing to put its soldiers' lives on the line, then why are we bothering with the whole business of Kosovo anyway?
The absence of United Nations involvement serves notice that the organisation has latterly turned into a body for rubber-stamping resolutions against the West's antagonists when required.
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 This is what happens when you tattoo Charmander on yourself, drunk, and with no experience
- 2 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 The Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice trailer has leaked – watch
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a white stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Russian warships in English Channel 'to conduct anti-aircraft and anti-submarine military drills'