Letter: Send in the troops
Tuesday 30 March 1999
A better way to deal with the crisis would have been to deploy troops in Kosovo. Troops could have guarded the indigenous civilian population, and kept the KLA in check. Massive use of air power will undoubtedly seriously weaken the Yugoslav army, but will not stop its infantry burning villages in Kosovo unless it faces ground troops too.
If the West isn't willing to put its soldiers' lives on the line, then why are we bothering with the whole business of Kosovo anyway?
The absence of United Nations involvement serves notice that the organisation has latterly turned into a body for rubber-stamping resolutions against the West's antagonists when required.
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Chinese authorities arrest 11 people over exhuming woman’s body to sell as corpse bride
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 4 Paul Hollywood: Police asked if I wanted them to arrest Mary Berry for vandalism after she 'defaced' my car
- 5 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
JK Rowling's Harry Potter Halloween stories: Dolores Umbridge was based on real person she 'disliked intensely'
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Best horror films of all time
Benedict Cumberbatch describes the 'explosive' Sherlock sex scene that will never happen
Your Halloween playlist: From 'Thriller' and 'Ghostbusters' to Marilyn Manson and Eminem
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything