Letter: Turn of the year
Friday 01 January 1999
Throughout 1998 we have seen fit to dismiss the 350th anniversary of 1648, the climactic year of the English Revolution: the Second Civil War, the defeat of Stuart absolutism, Pride's Purge and the creation of cabinet government in the Council of State. It was the year that set the pattern for the American and French revolutions. Bunyan said of its message: "Until you know this you are to yourselves unknown."
There may be some remedy at hand. The new year is the 400th anniversary of Cromwell's birth and the 350th of the end of Charles I, to be marked by an exhibition at the Museum of London. Into both we can read the deeper constitutional significance of 1648.
Arts & Ents blogs
Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch 'first sexy Holmes', says Mark Gatiss
Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson
Jared Leto: Best Supporting Actor Oscar sparks backlash from transgender community
In Kony's shadow: Shocking photographs reveal brutality of Lord's Resistance Army
Captain Phillips actor Barkhad Abdi struggles financially despite Oscar nomination
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson