Letter: Unfair to toads
Wednesday 07 October 1998
Toads in particular have suffered from many old wives' tales. Frogs and toads are generally harmless creatures that play a vital role in ecosystems throughout the world. Perhaps most importantly, they are excellent indicators of the health of ecosystems. In many areas of the world frogs and toads are declining, sometimes in pristine habitats where no cause for the decline can be established.
Fauna and Flora International is currently developing a Global Amphibian Campaign which aims to educate people about amphibians and their importance within ecosystems and to highlight the worldwide declines. Clearly, such a campaign is much needed.
Senior Conservation Researcher
Fauna and Flora International
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 4 Nicki Minaj 'Anaconda': Singer finally releases predictable video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Laughs go global as Eddie Izzard and Dylan Moran bring international comedians to the Edinburgh Fringe
The Top Ten: Horrible buildings
JK Rowling writes new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing 'Singing Sorceress' Celestina Warbuck
Britain's ugliest buildings: Which monstrosities should be nominated for the Dead Prize?
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women