Letter: Unfair to toads
Wednesday 07 October 1998
Toads in particular have suffered from many old wives' tales. Frogs and toads are generally harmless creatures that play a vital role in ecosystems throughout the world. Perhaps most importantly, they are excellent indicators of the health of ecosystems. In many areas of the world frogs and toads are declining, sometimes in pristine habitats where no cause for the decline can be established.
Fauna and Flora International is currently developing a Global Amphibian Campaign which aims to educate people about amphibians and their importance within ecosystems and to highlight the worldwide declines. Clearly, such a campaign is much needed.
Senior Conservation Researcher
Fauna and Flora International
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 5 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Stock up on canned food for stock market crash, warns former Gordon Brown adviser
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn voters most likely to believe 'world is controlled by a secretive elite'