Letter: War's dilemmas
Monday 07 June 1999
But we can ensure the success of the Stability Pact for South Eastern Europe, soon to be launched by the German presidency of the EU and "wholeheartedly supported by HMG".
This is intended to create new structures (involving Russia) which will bypass not just Milosovic but all the old nationalisms and "ethnicisms", by bringing the Balkans into the European co-prosperity sphere.
Convincingly launched, the Stability Pact would electrify people in this region, where the one thing that unites is the yearning for some form of association with the EU. But convincingly launched means generous funding for the "Marshall Plan" or development aid element in this Balkan regeneration.
To win a new Balkans we must prove the cynics here wrong who say the West will no more open its wallet to help the Balkans than act to save the Kosovars their ordeal.
J P Diplomatic Consultancy
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 3 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
- 4 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country
- 5 Barack Obama fist bumps Texas restaurant employee in support of gay rights
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action
- < Previous
- Next >