Letter: Women lead nursing
Friday 26 March 1999
Modern nurse leadership is a success story for women. Of nearly 400 Nurse Executive Directors who fill board-level posts in NHS trusts, between 70 per cent and 80 per cent are women.
We have a female general secretary of the country's largest trade union, the Royal College of Nursing. Many nurses are at the vanguard of leadership in higher education, amongst whom are the largest group of female professors.
As Chief Nursing Officer at the Department of Health and Director of Nursing for the NHS Executive, I serve as one of the most senior female civil servants in government.
And thousands of women operate as ward sisters, nurse specialists and community team leaders.
This has not happened accidentally. When appointed Chief Nurse in 1992, my impression was that a disproportionate number of nurse leaders were men. But women, with the Department of Health's support through the Opportunity 2000 campaign, were encouraged to take on increasing responsibility, develop management skills and become more confident through sponsored leadership programmes, MBA courses, and secondments.
Chief Nursing Officer and Director of Nursing
Department of Health,
Arts & Ents blogs
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
How climate change helped Genghis Khan: Scientists believe a sudden period of warmer weather allowed the Mongols to invade with such success
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Arrest made after man is found by the side of the road with his penis cut off
- 3 Michael Schumacher 'experience' gives F1 legend chance to 'show his character', says Lewis Hamilton
- 4 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor