letters In Brief
Friday 14 May 1999
Mr I J KEMENY
Sir: A small correction regarding the article "Shooting fish in a barrel" (11 May): I never said my television show Weird Christmas was "a failure". I think I said that it was morally unjustifiable; but as morally unjustifiable shows go, I consider Weird Christmas a great success.
Sir: William Hague has now committed himself to tax incentives for marriage. If marriage is so good a state, why does he think that people need to be bribed with tax incentives to enter it? What sort of marriages does he believe such transactions will produce?
House of Lords
Sir: After reading Jack Straw's entertaining shimmying (You ask the questions, 12 May), I think I can characterise him in six words: "No dope smoked, cannot add up."
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 As an ex prostitute, I urge all the political parties to commit to the Sex Buyer Law
- 2 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 3 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Couple die within 28 hours of each other after being married for 73 years
Goodfellas star Frank Sivero sues for $250m over Simpsons character
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'