letters In Brief
Friday 14 May 1999
Mr I J KEMENY
Sir: A small correction regarding the article "Shooting fish in a barrel" (11 May): I never said my television show Weird Christmas was "a failure". I think I said that it was morally unjustifiable; but as morally unjustifiable shows go, I consider Weird Christmas a great success.
Sir: William Hague has now committed himself to tax incentives for marriage. If marriage is so good a state, why does he think that people need to be bribed with tax incentives to enter it? What sort of marriages does he believe such transactions will produce?
House of Lords
Sir: After reading Jack Straw's entertaining shimmying (You ask the questions, 12 May), I think I can characterise him in six words: "No dope smoked, cannot add up."
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Angelina Jolie confirms retirement from acting: 'I've never been comfortable on-screen'
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures