Making it big
Friday 10 February 1995
His movies are all soaked in the same scuzzy kitsch. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is about a girl rock band running the gauntlet of sex and drugs on their way to stardom. Cherry, Harry and Raquel is a camp semi- western awash with sex and drugs. Up! is a modern detective story peppered with sex and drugs. Are you starting to get the idea?
In any appraisal of America's reliable tradition of cult film-makers, Meyer would feature heavily. His movies are widely regarded as little masterpieces of trash; they share a cast of preposterously busty dames. Like one of his closest artistic cousins, John Waters, Meyer has a voracious (you might say juvenile if you were feeling really mean) appetite for all things outsized and square of peg. If he has a defining sensibility it is this: big women are cool.
Waters remembers Meyers being a primary influence on his own life and work. "Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! is, beyond doubt, the best movie ever made. It is possibly better than any film that will be made in the future. I first saw the film in 1966 at a local drive-in after being attracted to the radio ad that blared: `It will leave a taste of evil in your mouth.' " As only the best trash can and should.
The season `Russ Meyer: American Auteur' began yesterday at the National Film Theatre, SE1 (071-928 3232) and continues until 28 Feb
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
They're back, they're big – and they're still spectacularly boringfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories